Sometimes a day will pan out as you planned it, sometimes a day will bear no resemblance to the way you planned it at all and you have to find a new way of working through what you thought your day would be.
Yesterday was that day for me. I had to take my 13yr old daughter to the doctor yesterday morning and on our way back home some time after 11am I ran into my Mother-in-law and her sister-in-law.
Now, I don't see alot of my mother-in-law due to some fairly deep rooted Algerian family politics. But we stood and chatted for maybe half an hour before she said she was actually making her way to the clinic accross the road....
After a quick dash home to make sure everything was running smoothly and lunch was happening I went back to the clinic and sat with my mother_in-law while she waited to be seen.
Once she'd got her prescription I walked her back to her sister-in-laws house and said what I thought would be quick salams to the rest of the family... it turned out in fact to be a late lunch followed by a rushed trip to collect some children and take them back to see their grandma... which was in turn just in time for afternoon tea.... so guess what!
By the time we were able to finally make our way to the front door two of my brothers-in-law had arrived to take the mil home and so we stayed another half an hour so that the children could spend some time with them..
Now, my mother-in-laws brother lives literally accross the road from us... it takes five minutes to do the walk... but this being Algeria my mother-in-law insisted that we get in the car and be driven home along a much more convoluted route than the walk would have been.... but, I didn't complain... she was happy that we'd spent the day with her... and spreading happiness is what it's all about.
I left my house at 10am yesterday morning with the clearest picture of how I would be spending my day and got home in the late evening having spent my time with family I hadn't seen for ages, listening to stories of how life used to be here in the old days, getting an impromptu lesson in how to wear a haik and hopefully rebuilding some bridges....
Somedays you just have to roll with it... leave the day unfold as it will and be ready to adapt to the change...
If you live life with the certainty that no matter how you plan it, the day will happen, it relieves the stress of things sometimes not developing as you thought they would...
There will be a flow to your day, perhaps not quite in the direction you thought... but there's sometimes a sweetness in that...
I hadn't planned to walk the way I did yesterday.. I usually take a different route home, but Allah had plans for me and took me to where he knew it would be more beneficial for me to be.
Trust in your day and don't be afraid to just let it open out and happen.
Yesterday was that day for me. I had to take my 13yr old daughter to the doctor yesterday morning and on our way back home some time after 11am I ran into my Mother-in-law and her sister-in-law.
Now, I don't see alot of my mother-in-law due to some fairly deep rooted Algerian family politics. But we stood and chatted for maybe half an hour before she said she was actually making her way to the clinic accross the road....
After a quick dash home to make sure everything was running smoothly and lunch was happening I went back to the clinic and sat with my mother_in-law while she waited to be seen.
Once she'd got her prescription I walked her back to her sister-in-laws house and said what I thought would be quick salams to the rest of the family... it turned out in fact to be a late lunch followed by a rushed trip to collect some children and take them back to see their grandma... which was in turn just in time for afternoon tea.... so guess what!
By the time we were able to finally make our way to the front door two of my brothers-in-law had arrived to take the mil home and so we stayed another half an hour so that the children could spend some time with them..
Now, my mother-in-laws brother lives literally accross the road from us... it takes five minutes to do the walk... but this being Algeria my mother-in-law insisted that we get in the car and be driven home along a much more convoluted route than the walk would have been.... but, I didn't complain... she was happy that we'd spent the day with her... and spreading happiness is what it's all about.
I left my house at 10am yesterday morning with the clearest picture of how I would be spending my day and got home in the late evening having spent my time with family I hadn't seen for ages, listening to stories of how life used to be here in the old days, getting an impromptu lesson in how to wear a haik and hopefully rebuilding some bridges....
Somedays you just have to roll with it... leave the day unfold as it will and be ready to adapt to the change...
If you live life with the certainty that no matter how you plan it, the day will happen, it relieves the stress of things sometimes not developing as you thought they would...
There will be a flow to your day, perhaps not quite in the direction you thought... but there's sometimes a sweetness in that...
I hadn't planned to walk the way I did yesterday.. I usually take a different route home, but Allah had plans for me and took me to where he knew it would be more beneficial for me to be.
Trust in your day and don't be afraid to just let it open out and happen.





si seniora....you are so right....go with the flow, it doesn't hurt....xxxx
ReplyDeleteThat's so lovely of you to go with her mashallah and I hope that some bridges have been built. Sounds like a lovely impromptu day x
ReplyDeleteshe was really happy... it's always good to make a difference mashallah
ReplyDelete