Friday, 17 February 2012

back to super-frugal


Running a household budget is pants!
Plain and simple it's a pain in the neck from start to finish and almost anything can throw it off track.
Can you tell I overspent? Well actually it's not so much a case of over spending, it's doing daily battle with see-sawing prices that seem to have gone mad this month.
Of course the weather has alot to do with that.. we've had so much rain that it's affected our local market, and pushed the price of veggies up to a miserable level.
A couple of months of ill heath and eating out of my stockpile also didn't help matters... and I'm trying to build it up from scratch again, mainly because it helps to free up some cash in the long run and also because it's just so much easier to have things on hand.

So I'm back in super-frugal mode, and am cooking the dishes that I always fall back on when I need something tasty  but kind on the pocket...



The quantities are all relative to how much you feel like cooking, but it's more or less equal amounts of onion; tomato and green peppers gentle sautéed with as much garlic as you can comfortably handle. I also add some paprika for colour and season generously with salt ans coarse black pepper. Once it's looking relaxed and mellowed out break some eggs into the pan and put a lid on top so that they poach in the liquid. Only poach them till just cooked though, what your looking for is a yolk that will ooze out into your saucy goodness when broken. We eat this as is, with crusty bread from a communal plate, even better cook it in something you can take straight from stovetop to table. Delicious...


9 comments:

  1. Well I'm not in DZ but I swear prices are becoming crazy here too....I'm menu planning too sis...you helped greatly with that mash'Allah...my main reason for that is to save my poor brain from the headache of 'what to cook today' plus saving as I don't have to stop at the shops midweek to stock up and end up spending money on stuff we don't really need...thank you my sis....keep the recipes and post in general coming...wa salaams

    ReplyDelete
  2. masha`allah looks great

    even i have had it hard dealing with the prices too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish! We have the same dish in Morocco, my 2 older kids even like it, not the 4 year old though, he's suspicious of anything with more than 2 ingredients. Happy cooking, winter will be over one day insha Allah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. unfortunately the usual Algerian method of adding eggs to any chakchuka is to scramble them like fury... I much prefer the Morrocan way... it look so much more appealing..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to try this but for me.. eggs cooked like this are either fully cooked or not cooked enough :( any visual test I can do to get a better idea sis??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a glass lid, and then as soon as the membrane on the yolk has gone opaque, for me.. it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. salamu aleykum,

    dear sister, after the snow i'm again feeling with you...
    we try to pass the time with lentils, lentils and lentils again....! It 's cheap and very nutricious alhamduliLah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry i forgot to write who i am, it was me: Yusra! The other um-zakaria from Mouradia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yusra, we too eat lentils by the Kilo in winter, and I'm not joking... it's one of our staples when it's cold!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting constructive feedback, so don't be shy...say your piece, just keep it polite.. :)