Thursday, 17 October 2013

Eid-al-Adha


It's all been about the sheep here for the past coupe of weeks....
Sheep have literally been everywhere, much to the amusement of the young lad in the picture...
All of my children love Eid-al-Adha... in fact they probably love it more than Eid-al-Fitr... and this year we had, probably our best one since coming to Algeria mashallah.



For the girls of course it's an excuse to get dressed up and enjoy some henna... this time round I even managed to get my own hands and feet done.

After attending Eid prayers in our local masjid, and spending some time wishing everyone a blessed day, we went home to slaughter our sheep and begin the task of cleaning and hanging it. 

It didn't take long with three of us cleaning the insides and the dh and brother-in-law doing the rest of the butchering... 

My 16yr old slaughtered our sheep this year, with the rest of the family watching... it must have been a daunting task but he managed well mashallah.

After gutting our sheep we breakfasted on the fried liver and heart, cleaned out the stomach and used half of it to make Bakbouka and froze the rest to make Osban later on.... all the other offal got frozen for later and we managed to spend most of the rest of our day on the terrace.

We had BBQ for lunch, and after the children had gone off to spend some time with their grandparents we went back up and spent the evening  cooking and drinking tea...

It was a really good, peaceful day... there's alot to be said for keeping things simple and just doing what feels good...










5 comments:

  1. Assalamu aleiki dear Kate, Taqabal Allah mina wa minkum amen, glad to read ur day, at our end the mil and sil done all the cleaning this year they were over here as they had no sheep, I wish I could say I love the smell but.... Alhamdulillah anyways love to all xxx

    um Hanan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wa ghafurallahu lana wa lakum... inshallah your eid was also good... alhamdulillah for the help you had with your sheep... my bil took our sheeps head to my mil to burn outside for me and then sent it back for me to cook bouzalouf... which I did, it's now sitting in the fridge waiting for them all to eat it...lol

      I love this eid... I love it from start to finish... even the smell!!

      Delete
  2. Salam alaikum Kate

    MashaAllah glad to hear you had a peaceful and joyous day, your a better woman than me I wouldn't be able to help clean a sheep or handle/cook the offal. Btw Lovely black and white photos and happy to hear you had some henna done looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wa alaikul asalaam Kim,

      to be honest I avoided it like the plague the first year that I was here, but then I figured if I was going to live here I better just learn to get my hands dirty and do the job myself... alhamdulillah with me and the two big girls working we're normally finished pretty quickly... some of the women here have to do their sheep alone... plus entertain guests and cook osban or bakbuka... they're the really courageous ones!!

      Inshallah you had a good eid too <3

      Kate xxx

      Delete
  3. Salam, Kate! I love how you spent eid! Even I love henna on eids and I think eid is incomplete without henna!
    do checkout mine,and probably follow back if you like it!haha
    strokesofsunshine.blogspot.com
    love, Eman Siddiqi

    ReplyDelete

I love getting constructive feedback, so don't be shy...say your piece, just keep it polite.. :)