Sunday, 29 September 2013

Pop Tarts or Hand Pies....

Breakfast happens early in our house during the week and when I'm at my most efficient, (which doesn't really happen quite as often as it should!) I make sure breakfast is ready the night before so that I don't have to mess around directing the human traffic in my life at the same time as producing eatables.

Pop tarts have been on my list of "must cook" for a long time, and I can finally tick them off the list.

They went down a storm and these will definately be seen again at the breakfast table...



Pop Tarts

Pastry

2 c flour
1tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
12 tbsp butter
7 tbsp chilled water

In a mixing bowl, sift the flour and mix in the sugar and salt.
Gently rub the butter in with your fingertips till it resembles breadcrumbs then add the chilled water, bringing everything together to form a soft dough & taking care not to overwork the pastry.

On a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry to an even thickness and cut into rectangles

On each rectangle place 2tsp of your jam of choice then fold one half of the rectangle over sealing the edges with a little water and crimping them with a fork.

Brush the tops of your pies with some beaten egg and sprinkle with a little sugar... not forgetting to cut a small airhole into the top of each pie.

They may ooze a little during cooking but we love the rustic look in our house

We baked ours in a moderate oven for about 25 minutes but you know they're done when they're slightly tanned on top

It's worth noting that I actually doubled the recipe to make 12 pies so if 12 is too many for you then just halve the amounts given...

And, 3yr old boys are excellent for the sprinkling sugar bit... I advise, if you have one in your life to utilise his sugar sprinkling talents, belive me you won't regret it and he'll be a much jollier fellow for it...

enjoy!






4 comments:

  1. how do you manage to stay off the sweet treats? sounds like torture to me...no being able to eat it after baking them...mash'Allah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most of the time it's easy but to be honest if I really fancy something I just have a leeeetle bit and don't stress it.... :)

      Delete
  2. Damn that's amazing. Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. believe me they were REALLY nice !!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting constructive feedback, so don't be shy...say your piece, just keep it polite.. :)