Sunday, 27 November 2011

The best laid plans...

My plans for last week were to do some cosying up for winter. We've had a bit of a tough run since Eid, and we've really been questioning our hijrah. We put our best feet forward though and decided to carry on regardless. Tarting the place up a little and hunkering down for some winter comforts was on the cards.

And then the monsoon rains hit. If you live in Algeria you'll know what I mean. You'll know how relentless and oppressive the rain can be. 

It took about an hour. By then the rain had come in via both the open roof and the ceilings. The water on the terrace was shin deep. We're still drying out. We're not sure if the ceilings will hold another rain.



Are we depressed?.... yup!
Are we yet again questioning our hijrah? ... Hell yeah... we're only human after all and living nine to a room will do that for you.

We've moved downstairs. All the bedrooms are now unusable. The ceilings are making weird creaking noises.
It's a bit of a downhill groove we're on at the minute but we're trooping on. This is when our best of British stiff uper lip comes in handy. We're down, but not defeated.

I have thought about my hijrah alot since moving here. It'll be three years this coming summer. 
It hasn't always been what it could have. Sometimes it's been better. Right now it's not even coming anywhere close to hitting the mark. But these are tests. Tests of our endurance. This is Allah testing our metal. Seeing how strong we are, and how committed we are to staying here. 

To be honest I'm not so sure I am anyore, and because of our current situation I can't really tell if thats a fleeting emotion brought about by my immediate frustrations, or a deeper problem.
I guess I'll just have to wait things out as patiently as possible and ride the storm a little while longer.

It's also STILL exam time. For some reason, this semester the teachers have decided to prolong the agony and drag exams on for two weeks. But  the good thing is that a two week holiday is looming, so we get at least some time off for good beahviour.

I'm off now to cook some lunch and get some sorting out done. I have a mini battle going on at the dinner table/revision station.... and it could get super ugly.

Oh, and more heavy rain and flash flooding have been forcast for Northern Algeria.
Please make dua that our roof stays put and that we don't get too wet....

.

3 comments:

  1. as salaamu `alaykum dear Kate,

    My heart goes out to you... May Allah increase you in patience and may He give you all ease after this hardship ameen.

    Sometimes it is funny how alike our circumstances are. My family has the upper portion of a house - it is 2 bedrooms and one kitchen. It gets rather cramped and messy and last year, we got an extension built (glass walls). We were SO HAPPY - it was to be our library and family den. The girls and I did it all up and had such plans. Then the rains came and water started to seep in. We saved our books and mopped up the mess. Then heavier rains came, each got worse and eventually, the place was so waterlogged, we had to empty it all out. Broke the girls' hearts and we were back to messy, cramped quarters and frazzled nerves.

    You've hit the nail on the head about all these being tests from Allah. You're right too about not giving in to impulses. I am making du`aa that things get better for you and that you get better accommodations soon.

    Hang in there OK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esalaamu aleikoum,

    I agree during the rains the blues hit when the rains hits so hard, the roof leaks, the rain rolls down the stairs, ruins furniture ceiling and our moods. But elhamdullah for the rain else there wouldn't be anyhting growing we need to remember that. Enchallah you are in my duas. Keep on sister, Allah sees measures and counts every turns, every tear and paintaking effort we take. Henia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Iman thats's so sad. May Allah ta'ala repace what you lost with something better than it, ameen.

    And yep, I'm hanging on in here. By my fingernails if I have to...

    Heni, how are you feeling now?
    You're so right about the blessings of rain. Especially after the long dry summer we've had. May Allah ta'ala bless you for the reminder.

    lots of love ladies
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting constructive feedback, so don't be shy...say your piece, just keep it polite.. :)