Monday, 15 August 2011

Why menu planning doesn't work......

 at least not for me in Algeria at any rate!
I was once a huge advocate of menu planning, in the UK and here too when I first started running my DZ home.
It took me a long while to admit that planning menus in a country where I have next to no freezer space, a moderately unreliable electricity supply, and prices that rise and fall like nobodies business just wasn't working.

Menu planning used to make my life easier, when I was able to buy my groceries bulk,
I knew what I was cooking and when, and it took the hassle out of having to think about what I was going to feed everyone.

Here in Algeria, it's a whole different ball game.
I no longer bulk buy my dried goods because they become so  easily infiltrated by beasties...
I do have an extra room in my house to use for storage but it's humid most of the time and not ideal for storing things that would be affected by it.
These days the only things I buy in bulk are water and milk, flour and semolina.
The rest is bought as is needed.

 

 Menu  planning also doesn't take account of my leftovers, and whatever I find in the market that's too much of a bargain to pass up. 
I shop differently these days and it's had a knock on effect, I used to be able to plan a month in advance..now I have to think on my feet.
And lets face facts.. we're in North Africa.... food prices are erratic at best and when I plan a menu I look for things to cook.
I'm an avid reader of cooking books and blogs, and I'm always easily seduced by a new recipe.
which of course takes it's toll on my budget!
So, I have been dragged kicking and screaming to the conclusion that menu planning is no longer for me,
for the past three months I've still written out my menu, but have barely followed it.
We eat well, I cook healthy, nutritious meals and masha'allah my kids can pack food away like you wouldn't believe!
I've learnt to be more flexible, I've asked questions of the Algerian women around me, I seek out what works from people who have been running homes here far longer than I have. 
I sometimes miss the ease with which I ran my home and fed my family in the UK..
but would I swap it for what I have now?
I dont thnk so.. I think we can cope without a menu plan.

But what do you do? 
Are you a menu planner... if you're living in Algeria do you plan your meals?
Have you adapted your cooking to suit your life in here.

7 comments:

  1. subhanallah...only yesterday I was thinking of writing to you to ask advice on menu planning...i have never done it but i'm considering it for the simple reason that i'm going back to work in september and with the extra baby to add to my already stressful life i thought it was time to change the 'last minute dot com' way of life for a more structured one...so my superheroine yummy mummy what do you reckon? how do i start? do you have a template i could use? do i have to buy a whole month in advance?!! pls help...also for the first time in our lives dh and i are considering sticking to a budget...help!!! love you sweetipie...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really miss being able to menu planning to be honest... I can't tell you the amount of time I waste everyday figuring out what to cook... If I was still in the UK I'd still be planning my meals for sure. I do have a template and also old menus to share... and just for you Ines I'll concentrate the next couple of posts on budgeting and menu planning and explore them in a little more detail insha'allah.... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaah you are so sweet...thank you so much, looking forward to the posts...mash'Allah you are my heroine and the bestest yummy mummy ever xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really menu plan but I kind of have an idea based on what I have in my fridge. I do find your posts beneficial as I see myself ending up in Algeria one day in sha Allah. I love that I can get a real flavour of how things might be, here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well as you know i have now got to do more budgeting ... i dont think i could do a whole moth of planning to be honest but a weekly plan might help .... i will look forward to see what you come up with

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I thought I was prepared for life here in DZ..I've always cooked from scratch and frugal might aswell be my middle name...but it's been one huge learning curve... and I'm still learning...and if there is one tip i would give to any woman thinking of coming here to run a family and home..learn from the women around you.. perhaps not in-laws as I know the tensions that are quite often there make it hard if not impossible...but i've found that there are so many amazing women here willing to share their experience with us. It's been my lifesaver on more than one occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that without a decent sized freezer, especially, it's nigh on impossible to shop for a week. And, like you said, food prices and availability vary according to what's in season, so if you want cauliflower cheese in March you're stuffed!
    That said, I think that weekly planning can work here, if you know roughly when foods come in season, when things get more expensive, and can stock up on things when they're cheap, without them going off. It just takes a long time of living here to get into the ebb and flow of it all.
    Note: I don't plan nuffin'. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting constructive feedback, so don't be shy...say your piece, just keep it polite.. :)