Rice...
A frugal-ish meal if ever there was one..depending of course on how expensive rice is in your part of the globe these day...
my dh usually brings me a 25kg bag of good basmati from the UK..and I ration like crazy till his next trip and then pad out with dishes made from the shorter grain rice we get here in Algeria...
We like rice anyway it comes usually... but when we're in super frugal mode.... we have it like this...
okay as always..I deal with rough measures and use according to how many I'm feeding and how generous I'm feeling...
for my family of 8 non gloop eating people....(baby still not partaking of this dish!)
3 cups (and by cup I actually mean MUG) of basmati rice, boiled
2 of the same measure of lissan al usfoor
4 large onions
brown the lissan al usfoor in a lttle oil or ghee till it's a dark brown colour and smells nice and nutty.
once it has coloured add water enough to cover, bring to a roling boil then simmer till tender...
while that's cooking prepare your onions by frying them until deep brown, and then set to one side to cool down and crispen up.
all thats left once the lissan al usfoor is cooked is to mix it into the rice, season with salt to taste...then serve with the crispy onions on top...
deliciously simple..

Assalamu alaykum,
ReplyDeleteI've been following you for a while, I think I left a comment before on one of your posts.
MashAllah your recipe does sound delicious; I especially like the garnish, it must smell so good! I'm a rice lover and a bowl of it would make a meal to me satisfying. Now, one question: What is lissan al usfoor?
I'd try if lissan al usfoor is something I can get here, although this wouldn't be something I'd make when on a budget since basmati here is expensive.
We like kocheri also ... madharra (sp?) too!
ReplyDeleteooh us aswell..any kind of simple peasant food hits the spot in my house..plentiful and way easy on the pocket too!!!
ReplyDeleteI used to have a link for a site with simple and hearty palestinian dishes..I must see if I can find it...
Also... I would just never mind about the basmati if you cant affors it on your budget. The origional recipe is a turkish one..(the fried onions are an Egyptian addition) and was made with shorter garin rice..it's just as tasy and a wee bit cheaper too masha'allah... lissan al usfoor is also known as orzo, birds tongue or langues d'oiseaux you can also use vermicelli or another small type pasta if you prefer..