Monday, 1 November 2010

after a long ...

and slightly chilly walk home from school what better than a warming bowl of something reminiscent of soup..
my neighbour sent this dish in with the recipe one evening and it's been a firm favourite ever since...



in a pan soften a finely chopped onion in a couple of tablespoons of oil, add to it 2 fresahly grated tomatoes, a big fat cove of garlic and a small tin of tomato paste...some salt (to taste) and LOTS of black pepper... add a couple of litres of cold water and bring up to the boil...throw in a bag of elbow macaroni and any extras you fancy (frozen veggies if you live in a land blessed with such wonders) I used some green beansand carrot in this batch..but I've also used chickpeas and my neighbour sometimes throws in leftover chicken or turkey meat...bring it back to the boil and simmer gently till the macaroni and veggies are tender...if you have algerian carrots and bans you might want to cook them out a bit in your soupy sauce first...
it should be nice and thick by the time it's cooked..and it's lovey with a bit of harissa stirred in at the end..though maybe only for the grown ups....
We have this at least a couple of times a week and the children love it..

and that walk home from school?
well, we kinda love that too...



3 comments:

  1. masha`allah just the way my in laws make it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely delicious - insha'Allah I will try it... maybe tomorrow because I am already wondering what on earth I can make tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Essalam Alaikum, you know you can freeze your own veggies? I clean up green beans, carrots and peas, towards the middle of the season when their are tons of them available. Wrap them in cleaned bags and freeze them in appropriate portions. They do have frozen peas here, I buy them when I run out of the ones I froze myself but man, they are spendy!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting constructive feedback, so don't be shy...say your piece, just keep it polite.. :)